Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Surveyance ~ An Exploration through Convergent Media


SURVEYANCE ~ An Exploration of Surveillance Cameras through Convergent Media

SURVEYANCE from Shelly Perkins on Vimeo.



While working on my University of Oklahoma Convergent Media project, Surveyance, I worked through a process of performing surveillance, conducted short interviews from others while they were under surveillance, and also was under surveillance myself. Working through these three processes, I found a little eeriness in the thought of being watched. However, I also found a comfort in believing if my safety was jeopardized, the law enforcement or agency monitoring the cameras would send help.

There is a live camera feed on an open, unsecured camera mounted on the top of the University of Oklahoma Memorial Stadium Parking Garage facing to the southwest, which constantly films Gaylord Hall. Many people do not even notice the camera mounted at the top of the building, above the stairwell. However, I’m sure those being interviewed now will notice it each time they pass by that particular location. This unsecured feed is available at Opentopia (dot) com. Others may also exist, however this is the live feed I used during the interview portion of my project.

The University of Oklahoma campus employs surveillance cameras in various public locations viewable to those who pass by with at least one located on top of the stadium. However, the campus also uses surveillance cameras in less visible areas like at the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, which houses works from artists like Pablo Picasso and Monet.

One thing I found curious when I myself under surveillance, I found it a little strange. I stood in the spot with the open live feed atop of the OU stadium parking lot, while watching myself on my iPad. I walked around in several spots in front of the camera while watching myself on the open feed. At one point a bicyclist was riding up behind me. The only reason I knew this was from the images from the live feed. I could not see him coming up behind me and I could not hear him. It was as if those watching me knew something was going to happen to me before I did. This leads to these questions, Could someone actually stop a crime from being occurred if he or she saw it was about to happen? Would someone actually stop the crime?

There are various pros and cons to surveillance cameras mounted in public spaces. The main benefit to the surveillance camera is the security it can offer in these spaces just as to privately owned stores, banks or homes. The security agencies that monitor these cameras are able to view various locations and activities from one control room, managing a much larger area than without the devices. Law enforcement often uses the video images recorded from these devices to later solve crimes, while their presence may also help prevent criminals from initially committing the crimes.

The cons to living with surveillance cameras are the freedoms they take away. With millions of cameras in existence, both surveillance and camera phones, no one is immune to their use. Some critics point out instead of spending money on funding more surveillance cameras; money should be spent on hiring more law enforcement officers or spent on social programs, which may deter crimes being committed.

Interestingly, while conducting interviews, most were surprised when I pointed out the location of the surveillance camera. Some were interested in the website with the open live feed. The debate will continue as those who advocate the use of surveillance cameras argue the advantages to their uses against those who believe the government is becoming “big brother” and overstepping boundaries.

-Shelly Perkins University of Oklahoma Convergent Media